Monday 7 May 2007

Mission Beach

Dubnk isalnd in the background
During the day
Dusk on the beach
Mountains in the background
On the beach
On the beach


My first stop off en route to brissie is Mission Beach. It is about 3 hours south of Cairns. There's not much to mission beach, except, erm, the beach.
In the 1800's two German religious men travelled to the area to try and convert the local Aboriginals. After three attempts (various fires, cyclones, Aboriginals not wanting them there, etc) they gave up, but the town is called Mission Beach after their efforts. The hostel I'm staying at is nice and is basically cabins around a pool. There's a TV room there and a food outlet. That's about it though unless you take a 20 minute walk (in the heat) into town. I was there for a couple of days and went to the beach (surprising how many others staying there didn't actually go to the beach??) and also chilled. Nice spot. Two days were enough though. I actually had the whole beach (as far as I could see) to myself for most of the day!!

I saw a killer sunset whilst I was there. It was a pink sunset!!! I mean bright, bright pink. It was amazing. I didn't have my camera though, which was a real bummer. The photos below were taken the night after and that sunset was 10 times better than the one in the photos.

No comments: