Thursday 15 February 2007

Death by Greyhound part II

I had to catch the greyhound from Las Vegas to LA. I was not looking forward to this as it would be an all day affair. I sat near the front so that i was least likely to be disturbed. Our driver wasn't as authoritarian as the one from SF to Las Vegas, and so there was some chit-chat during the trip.

The people behind me were characters to say the least. One was a granny with missing teeth a broad southern accent. Others were in their thirties and from Cali as they called it. The chat soon turned to guns, drugs, beatings by the police, race, jail, etc. They were all talking from person experience and at one point they pulled out the Tequila. I could smell it leaching forward on the bus. Every so often the door to the loo at the back of the bus would swing open and fill the bus with the rancid smell of urine. That mixed with tequila was making me feel quite ill. The main story teller was sat to the side of me and was getting quite animated in his storytelling. The bus driver told him to sit down twice and at one point the man started to talk about beating up the bus driver when he got of the bus!!! This man was huge and ex-Army - the bus driver was tiny. I'm sure the driver must of heard this because the next time the storyteller told a joke and everyone laughed he pulled the man off the bus and told him he couldn't ride on this bus anymore. That was like a red flag to a bull and started a huge row. The man was told that if he didn't leave then the police would be called. That got the man of the bus because of his "record" as he said (it pretty bad by the sounds of it). After all this we got into LA main terminal at 5:30pm. I got on the bus at 10am. I never want to ride on greyhound again!!

No comments: