Friday 9 February 2007

San F-rain-cisco

After a day of flying I landed in San Francisco for my second leg of the land of fatties.
I caught one of those shared buses and waited for my stop. I wasnt quite sure were my hostel was as i couldn't find it in my Lonely Planet guide book. I had read that at all costs avoid the Tenderloin neighbourhood (ironic). We were driving down this long road full of homeless dwellings, drunks harrashing pedestrians, prostitues showing off their wears etc and I was praying that we werent going to stop anytime soon.....He pulled over right in the middle and said that this was my hostel. It was right bang slap in the Tenderloin. The hostel was actually really nice. Probably the nicest I've been in. With the noice of kids screaming and honking of horns outside I decided to move early the next morning. Glad i did as the locals i have spoken to (San Franciscians are really friendly) have all said that it is not a nice area at all!!! I moved to a hostel in an old millitary fort on the edge of the San Franciscian peninsula. Opposite is the opening of the bay, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz. The only thing seperating the hostel and the water is the hill that the hostel is perched ontop. Its is an absolutley brilliant view. On the other side of the hostel is the view of Downtown and the city!!!!

I had a bit of a poke around town. Had a ride on the Cable cars and explored the park that joins fort masion to the golden gate recreational park. The weather here is quite warm. Its around 15 degrees and really humid. It hasnt rained apparnetly for 6 weeks and the day i arrive it is forecast to rain for the next four to five days!!! The drizzle really gets in the way of pictures. I'm sharing a dorm with two really nice Canadian guys. They have been in SF for a while and so are getting me all the top hints!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"peniscular"

Are you sure that is the right word?

lee-lee said...

erm...Nope. My spelling is appalling and the spellchecker just doesnt help in that situation!