Thursday 15 February 2007

Hollywood


Set of Jaws

Set of The Grinch

Ladies toilet inside Mann's Chinese theatre

Bar inside Mann's Chinese theatre

Famous Globe
Gates to Universal Studios
View of the Universal Studios estate
View from the Universal Studios tour of one of the sets used for flooding scenes
View from the Universal Studios tour of the set used for King Kong

Part of a shopping centre that had walkways with views of the Hills
View of outside Mann's Chinese theatre
View of the Hollywood Hills

Rodeo Drive


New Disney centre
One of the first Spanish Churches in the area
Hollywood Bol getting ready for the Oscars
Manns Chinese Theatre
Walk of stars



I'm staying in hostel just off Hollywood Boulevard. The location is superb for sight seeing as Mann's Chinese theatre is just minutes walk down the road. The walk of the stars lines the streets and its wierd seeing some big names on the pavement surrounded by homeless people, "smoke shops", sex shops etc. Wasn't expecting that.

My first impressions of LA are as follows: it is a huge city/metropolis of cities that have poor public transportation links which explains the huge roads, the ratio of cars to people (almost two to one) and the horrendous traffic jams that seem like they last forever.

I decided to book a tour of the city as there was no way that i was going to see all the sights by public transport in the time I have. This tour turned out to be a few minutes looking through the window at points of interest as we zoomed by in the coach. There was a lot of time on freeways!! Bugger. Still the afternoon was wicked as it involved going to Universal Studios! As it is out of season there were no queues and the rides were half full. I thought they had some pretty amazing rides there. One was 4-D and involved, sounds, smells, movement, actors, 3-D goggles etc. I had a massive smile on my face for the whole afternoon - i must be a big kid at heart. On the way back we were supposed to catch the coach that would drop us off at our hotels/hostels. I had lost my ticket but thought that it would be alright as the driver was the one would took us round in the morning. Big mistake. He totally didn't want to take me home without the receipt. His attitude was that if you haven't got the receipt then your not getting on the bus and was not bothered at all. I tried talking to him and eventually he phone the office and found that I was on the manifest. What a plonker. He was really nice in the afternoon.

I toured Mann's Chinese Theatre the next day and found that there's not much to learn about the theatre itself. The guide was a comic and invited me to his show. Shame I'm catching a plane. I looked over the pavement outside the theatre where all the stars have their handprints, footprints and names in the pavement. I did notice that all the men's shoes prints are huge. My feet (size 12 and i'm wearing size 12.2 shoes at the moment) could fit into all but one of the footprints. Now either some of the smaller actors have huge feet in comparison to their height or I smell a rat. These footprints were huge - no joke.

I had a gander at the Hollywood sign from the best view point - a shopping centre near Mann's Theatre. I was really suprised how small the sign actually is. When you see it on TV the picture must be taken fairly close to the sign itself. I took a few pictures but you can barely make the sign out!!!

No comments: