Wednesday 14 February 2007

Death by greyhound

After looking at options to get me from SF to Las Vegas I realised that the only one open was greyhound coaches. If only i had looked into it a day earlier i could have flown for less money than i would have to spend on the coach ticket. I didn't know what to expect from greyhound and i was a bit nervous as i had about 15 hour night ride to Las Vegas.

The terminal seems to be home to a fair few homeless and shady characters but i got chatting to someone from SF who gave me the inside goss on Las Vegas and this past the time. The buses they use are pretty standard and do not have any flashy screens or access to electrical powerpoints like the ones in Canada, but the bus was fairly empty and so it looked like i could get some sleep. Only when i checked my bags in did i realise that i had a three hour wait at 5am before i caught the second buses i needed!!! I didnt even know that I had two legs to my journey and the fact that i was going via LA (where i'm off to after Las Vegas) made me really happy.

The first bus was really bumpy and the driver was a total power freak. He basically told us that if we did anything against his rules he would pull over and kick us off the bus. There was not much noise after that as talking wasn't allowed. There was though a Mexican bloke who snored so bad it drowned out the noise from the buses engine!! After catching the second leg of the trip in LA i did get a few hours sleep. I was struck at how many Mexicans were in the terminal and worked for Greyhound. I'd say around 90% were mexican and staff at the terminal English was not so good. I could have easily been in Mexico rather than LA. I managed to sleep through the courtesy stop, which was surprising as it must have been announced on the radio and people must have rushed for the doors? I finally got into Las Vegas at 2pm. I left SF at 10 pm the night before. At this point i was ready to just drop my stuff on the floor where i stood and sleep on top of it. I was not looking forward to the trip from Las Vegas to LA - that was for sure.

No comments: