Monday 30 April 2007

Botanical gardens and the espanade

Botanical gardens
Botanical gardens
Botanical gardens
Botanical gardens Freshwater lake
Freshwater lake
One of the signs dotted around
Freshwater lake

Freshwater lake
Salt water lake
Salt water lake
Esplanade
Esplanade
Salt water lake
Mud flats next to the esplanade
Mud flats
Mud flats


My next day in Cairns and I wanted something to do that was nice and cheap. I had read in Lonely planet that there were some lovely gardens to walk around just near the town centre. Next to these gardens there was also some boardwalks around some lakes. I packed a packed lunch and went to the bus stop. As it was a Sunday the buses were running every two hours!!! I was gutted as I just missed one. After some walking I found another bus stop and a different bus route. I eventually got to the gardens just after lunch. The walk to the gardens was past a building site which made finding the entrance difficult!!! I had a wander and some lunch. It was like I was in the middle of paradise. I lay down and just day dreamed for a good hour!!! After I found the walks around the centenary lakes. One was saltwater, the other Freshwater. I saw a white lipped tree frog, stork and some other wildlife whilst walking around. It was a bit apprehensive as by there were a few signs dotted around warning of crocodiles!!!!

I got back to the hostel around 4ish. The hostel I’m staying at is like a holiday resort on some tropical island. The rooms are roomy and have balconies. On the ground floor there is a pizza restaurant, fast food restaurant, beer hall, gaming room, launderette, off-license, and live music space. On each floor is a kitchen and TV room. It’s a bit of a party place with rowdy people screaming all night long but apart from that it’s a bit of a bargain for the hostel price you pay.

I then decided to go for a walk down the esplanade. It is a walkway along the sea front that goes for about 3kms. As there is no beach really (there is a small one but your not supposed to use it due to crocodiles), there is a massive man made lagoon that is really popular just off the esplanade. The walk was lovely and at parts mangrove trees were growing next to the walk. It was a beautiful evening and I got some really good photos!!!!

No comments: