Thursday 26 April 2007

Sydney

Harbour bridge
Opera house
View of the city
Waiting area
Inside the main concert hall
External walls meet the internal theatre walls
Support structure for the external walls
Opera house
View of the harbour
Opera house

The Rocks with the city in the background
View of the city from the bridge
Opera house
View from the bridge
Bridge climbers
View from the bridge
View of Sydney from the Harbour bridge
View from Darling Harbour
View from Darling Harbour

I left Melbourne on the night bus – what a mistake that was. The bus left at 7pm to arrive in Sydney at 6:45 the next morning. I had heard that the Fire Fly bus was the best of the pick out of the various coach companies serving the route between the two cities. The bus was a Double Decker with the majority of seats upstairs. Its assigned seating so I was hoping for a seat downstairs as there is a lot more room there. As it turned out I got the very first row on the two deck. I missed out by 3 seat!! What a bummer. I’m sat right at the front. The guy sitting next to me smelt like off-chocolate. He was also quite big and so the two of us were like sardines in a tin. He was a Jehovah’s Witness and started talking to me about god. He even translated the lord prayer for me. Describing what words like Kingdom and will and stuff like that. How patronising. He then started asking if I wanted to live on forever. After I kindly said no he left me alone. Someone then piped up and started to say that the bible was basically rubbish. The guy that said that was a classic “a little bit of information” type. Thank good the driver put a DVD on. The film was okay but I was relived that there was no more talking going on. I still couldn’t get used to the man’s nasty smell so I decided to bury my head in my jumper and try and sleep. The only obstacles in my way where the man’s constant fidgeting and the fact that the bus kept on bouncing up and down – even though we were on a flat road. At 2am we stopped and I didn’t bother getting off as I couldn’t face climbing over the sets behind to get out. I was still awake a 4am and I must have got a few minutes sleep as I was woken up by the driver as we were near Sydney. I was in a really bad mood at this point. I got my bags and tried to find my hostel. My bag was so heavy and I kept on getting lost. At this point I just wanted to drop and stay and just lay down where I was on the street. I eventually found my hostel.

The hostel is a fairly grotty affair. The dorms are tiny and the en-suite is behind a slide door. I wasn’t going to bed as that would have meant I travelled on that awful bus for nothing. I got showered and headed towards town. I got on a train and went out to Circular Quay. I had a walk around and went to the Opera House. I did the guided tour (hideously overpriced). The Opera House is amazing though. The concert hall and performance hall are self contained structures within the overall external structure. Inside it has a modern feel even though it’s a few decades old. There was lots of wrangling over the build and the original architect left the project and hasn’t seen the building since. It was completed way over budget and has additional theatres that weren’t in the original design. I left the opera house and made the short walk into the area known as “The Rocks”. “The Rocks” is where the original settlement was made and houses some of the oldest and prettiest buildings in Sydney. At the weekend the streets play host to a market that sells upmarket tourist stuff. Lonely planet says its one of the top things to do in Sydney and so I walked about for a bit. To be honest it wasn’t that special a market and so I left after half an hour.

The next day the weather had taken a turn for the worst it was drizzly and overcast. I went for a walk over the famous harbour bridge. Locals call it the Coat hanger. The views of the city were brilliant even though it was grey and overcast. I then caught the train and went for a walk around Darling Harbour. The area has loads of exhibition and performance venues. The place is crammed with kids and it didn’t help that I was there on a Sunday.

No comments: