Tuesday 3 April 2007

Franz and Wanaka

After the ordeal that was my skydive, I'm heading up to hike a small bit of the glacier. I booked the hike for the day after my dive which was good thinking as I was still recovering for the remainder of the day.

The hike I booked was a half day hike. You get kitted out in proper boots with strap on spikes for when your up on the ice. It takes a good 45 minute walk to get to the ice. You walk up the river valley to get to the ice. This little walk was really pretty as the river was quite fast flowing and was shimmering in the morning sun. We are split into a few groups. I opted for the middle group as I didn't want to be in the National Geographic group nor the advanced (too much hard work). We get onto the ice by climbing a set of ice steps that are fairly steep. I find the ice really slippery even though I'm wearing spikes\!!! To be honest its kinda scary as if you fall, you take out everyone behind you - its that steep. I really wasn't expecting it to be that tricky, but some of the walkways the guides would cut as we went were more difficult as they often went up and down. The further we got up the glacier, the cleaner the ice got. The ice was a baby blue colour and this is due to the fact that the ice was formed by snow further up the glacier. It gets compressed under the weight of the snow on top and then forms into crystals. The views of the ice with the back drop of the blue sky was really beautiful. As we got higher and higher the views of the valley was amazing. I'm so so so gutted that I broke my camera in the poo party. I couldn't have taken so many amazing pictures - i mean some of the best. I did take some with my mobile phone, but I can't transfer them to a computer. Really gutted.

I have a couple of spare days in Franz and I spend these chilling out in cafes, drinking coffee and reading. I found a nice little bar where you had brilliant views of the glacier. Really relaxing.

After a crazy early start (7pm) we head to Wanaka. The driver of the bus today is a total plum. After we crossed the bridge leaving Franz we turned around and went back because two girls had to use the ATM!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Other drivers have a word with you if you are late on the bus, let alone turn the bus around and go back!!!! What a joke. The drive to Wanaka turned out to be the worst day to date on the bus. Everyone had made friends as they had all travelled the west coast together. No one was chatty at all.
The drive was supposed to be one of the most scenic in the south island. The weather was overcast and rainy and so it was pointless taking pictures as the scenery looked rubbish. Even though no one wanted to take pictures, the driver still stopped at the various spots en route. We all ended up just sat in cafes for most of the day. I couldn't believe we were still stopping as there was nothing to do during the stops except sit in the cafes!!!! I was so so bored.

We arrive in Wanaka at around 3pm. We stay in a hotel, but pay hostel rates. Nice.
Wanaka is a small town in the middle of the south Island. It is on the edge of Lake Wanaka which is a beautifully clear lake which was formed from the melting of a glacier. There is little to do really in Wanaka except go to a quirky cinema in town. The cinema is a large room full of sofas and other types of chairs (even a converted mini!). The cinema has an interval, during which they sell warm cookies. The film we saw was Black Sheep. It is a NZ film about generic engineering gone wrong on a sheep farm. It was a really lame film that had a basic plot. I wouldn't recommend it at all!!!

No comments: